Saturday, September 20, 2008

What am I Doing on a Saturday Night?

Ladies, we've been tagged.

Tina at The Bigger They Get (who is, by the way, the top Google result for ["George Clooney" "chocolate pants"]) got us. She says, "Okay, I’m going to tag some of my favorite academic chickies who need to do something unrelated to things like composition and rhetoric and literature and literary criticism and textual theory and thinking up assignments and grading papers and attending classes and, and, and…well, they NEED a distraction. So, Lady Audley, Rhetorical Twist, Teacher Poet and DocHoc, spill…" The rules:

Meme Terms and Conditions
  1. Link to the person who tagged you.
  2. Mention the rules on your blog.
  3. List six unspectacular things about you. [As if there's *anything* about us that isn't spectacular...].
  4. Tag six other bloggers by linking to them.
So, six unspectacular things about Lady Audley:

1. My favorite bookmark at the moment is a small piece of paper with the William Carlos Williams poem, "This is just to say" on it.

2. I have bed sheets with fish on them, which I love because they remind me of Mrs. Dalloway: "For this is the truth about our soul, he thought, our self, who fish-like inhabits deep seas and plies among obscurities threading her way between the boles of giant weeds, over sun-flickered spaces and on and on into gloom, cold, deep, inscrutable; suddenly she shoots to the surface and sports on the wind-wrinkled waves; that is, has a positive need to brush, scrape, kindle herself, gossiping" (p.161, Harvest Books 1990 edition).

3. I am a sucker for steampunk. Like these guys:


And this.

4. I know I'm an English nerd, but I really like geometry.

5. The first book I remembering thinking of as my favorite was The Neverending Story.

6. One of my biggest pet peeves is when a footnote give away a plot point. Things like, "the author's use of water images foreshadows [character's] drowning."

And I'm tagging whichever of our readers feels so inclined. (Leave a comment with a link to your blog, or post your answers as a comment).

7 comments:

KGreco said...

6 Unspectacular Things About Me:

1. Although I enjoy the many moments of life, if I had a choice, I'd sleep all day every day.

2. I have an extreme sweet spot for Tony Romo.

3. I like to ski even though I have a problem stopping.

4. Before I got into writing, I used to sketch and draw cartoon characters--I sort of miss that.

5. My great, great, great grandfather was the first person to bring the coo-coo clock to America.

6. When I'm stressed I like to bust a move on DDR or rock out on Guitar Hero.

Teacher Poet said...

Six Unspectacular Things About Me:

1. The SNL "Sarah Palin" & "Hillary" opening skit brought laughter to my stressful week. LOTS of laughter. :-D

2. I like techie gadgets.

3. I use a fountain pen and opaque black ink to write letters.

4. With the current economic situation, I'm glad I was raised in a house that viewed it unChristian to rack up tons of debt. Otherwise, I might be sitting a big Mcmansion contemplating jumping out the window.

5. I used to read for fun but then I went to college. Now I sleep for fun. ;-)

6. No Child Left Behind makes me cry, just like millions of other Americans. :-P

Rhetorical Twist said...

I don't think Teacher Poet and Doc Hock's things count as "unspectacular." They sound pretty interesting to me!

Lemme try:

6 Unremarkable Things About Moi:

1. I recently bought a pair of thick, black curtains for my bedroom. They don't make the room look good, but I had to do something to block the light out. And damn, do they block the light!

2. My toenail polish is chipping. It's pink. I need to change it.

3. My bookmark for my Norton Anthology is a coupon for 15% off a meal at an yummy Indian restaurant. It shall cease to be a bookmark when I can get enough money to pay for the other 85% of the meal.

4. I just bought stamps with Bette Davis on them. Not on purpose, that's just what they gave me.

5. My bath towel is currently purple. I will soon be using the blue one instead.

6. I feel kind of bad using honey from one of those squeeze bottles shaped like a bear. I feel like I am slowly draining its life force or something.

Teacher Poet said...

6 Instances of Procrastinating from Writing My Lesson Plans, by Teasing Rhetorical Twist (I expect LA to join me soon on this)...

1. I wish I had black curtains, but I have one of those eye covers instead.

2. You should go w/ some shade of blue because A) it's your fav. color and B) it'll cover up the natural blue color once the weather changes and you continue to wear sandals!

3. You shouldn't have bought those stamps. It could have been a yummy curry meal instead...

4. You should have asked for political stamps and mailed stuff to work. :-P

5. Blue? I thought I bought you a second/third purple one? Oh well, I suppose you do some weird magic with your laundry. Haha.

6. Secretly, I think you like it! It makes you feel powerful. ^__^

Rhetorical Twist said...

Silly child, you knew I already had another purple towel!

Now go write your lesson plans!

And as soon as I think of proper comebacks, you're in trouble!

Michael5000 said...

I didn't know that there were steampunk BANDS. I thought it was just a literary/gaming genre. I like the song....

Lady Audley said...

From what I can tell from some procrastination-fueled googling (which is how I originally stumbled across Abney Park, actually), there's some debate over what makes a band "steampunk." Some say it's the industrial/goth rock/Middle Eastern vibe of the music. Some say it's aviator goggles. I say "whatever, these guys are made of awesome."